This post was most recently updated on February 17th, 2020
Tortilla soup is a favorite of many and is a healthy choice. The perfect cookware for this is a 100% ceramic pot, like the Xtrema All Natural Ceramic Cookware set because it contains no metals (see my review). The acid in tomatoes reacts with metals, which enter the food and affect the overall taste and end result. Hence, the reason to choose non-metal cookware for cooking this soup and others like my tomato and basil soup recipe.
Ingredients for the Tortilla Soup
- 8 corn tortillas, halved and thinly sliced
- Rice Bran oil spray
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 green chili peppers (Anaheim or Poblano), diced with a sharp knife
- 1 medium onion, also diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- small tin of green chilies (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- Dob of sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Spread tortilla strips in an even layer on a baking tray and spray lightly with cooking oil. Bake until brown and crisp, about 12 – 15 min.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 3-5 min.
- Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Add chicken, stock, tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 12 – 15 min.
- Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Serve each portion topped with some of the baked tortilla strips, Cheddar, and coriander.
- Add a dob of sour cream and stir into the mixture to liking, as well.
Whalah! you have your tortilla soup. Yummo!
I recommend complete ceramic cookware for this recipe as it won’t react with the acidity tomato ingredients.